Sunday, June 06, 2010

Sri Lankan Bollywood fans enjoying every IIFA moment

Thirteen-year-old Arawinda Perera kept screaming the name of Bollywood star Hrithik Roshan till the actor faded away from his sight.

This is not an unusual scene these days at the entrance to the plush Cinnamon Grand Hotel that is housing Bollywood celebrities who are in the city to participate in the three-day International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards extravaganza that will conclude on Saturday.

Like Perera, many Sri Lankan's are flocking around the hotel. As soon as they get sight of a luxurious and expensive car or a sedan, they queue up in enthusiasm and wait with baited breath for a celebrity to emerge from it.

"We love you Hrithik!" a group of young girls cried out loudly, as soon as they saw the actor coming out of his car and making his way to the hotel.

"We just love Bollywood. You can say we are crazy about it. Not just that, IIFA is such a big event and my country hosting it in itself is a proud moment," said Khadiyah Yoonus, a 14-year-old girl.

"I love him(Hrithik). He is just way too handsome and dashing. I saw him at the charity match. When will he come out?," asked little Khadiyah.

Khadiyah's elder sister Raeesah Yoonus was happy because she had manged to get an autograph from TV actor Ronit Roy.

"I am here because I want to see Hrithik, Kareena and Saif. What about Katrina Kaif? Is she here?," questioned Raeesah. "I can come here again in the evening if you confirm that they will come out so that we can see them," she added.

It's not just the kids who are pushing and shoving to get a glimpse of Bollywood celebrities. Even middle-aged women and some parents along with their kids flock the venue.

"I am here for Salman Khan. He is so cute. I am also fond of Indian movies. It is because I am an Indian and now I live here. But the charm of Bollywood is such that age doesn't matter," quipped Jyoti Tezwani, a woman in her 50's.

Tezwani was accompanied by her friend Riya Lalwani, who missed the presence of Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan at the IIFA awards.

"I really wish Shah Rukh had made it to IIFA this time. Also, we heard that Amitabh Bachchan is coming. He is the brand ambassador of IIFA, so we are just hoping that he comes here. We will try to get his glimpse only," said Lalwani.

Xurayk Walfir, a student, came along with her parents in the mad rush and waited patiently to meet any actor.

"I don't have any personal favourites. I love anyone, just everyone. I am basically from the Maldives and have shifted to Sri Lanka just three years back. Even the Maldives people are big Bollywood fans and we are just no exception," smiled Walfir.

"I am lucky enough to get a glimpse of these stars. I am so happy," she added.

0 comments:

Post a Comment